1. Core. The Sun's nuclear "furnace," where
fusion reactions initially combine hydrogen atoms to produce helium, yielding energy in
2. Radiative Zone. Energy moves through a surrounding envelope of gas toward the Sun's
3. Convection Zone. Big "bubbles" of hot gas transport energy to the surface.
4. Photosphere. The Sun's visible surface. Because of its high temperature, it glows
5. Sunspot. A magnetic "storm" on the Sun's surface.
6. Prominence. An eruption of hot gas that can extend thousands of miles into space.
7. Corona. The Sun's outer atmosphere, which is heated by the magnetic field to millions
Very nice image of an eruptive prominence.